Feature walkthrough on Sprinkle models, reports, and dashboards. Includes step-by-step process to select or input the values for variables at the run-time and to get the desired result
Variables are defined at Model-level so that they can be used in any expression that is being created at the Mode-level. The list of all the variables defined for the Model is available in the variables section. You can edit/delete/add new variables to the list.
- Model -> Expressions Tab -> Expressions
- Click on add Expression.
- The expression box can be used to define a dimension/measure expression
- Variables can be created by clicking on add variable button.
- You can see the output in the preview box after clicking on the “Validate” button. It shows the output of the expression applied on the first 5 rows of data.
Model -> Expressions Tab -> Variables:
- You can create new variables here(as shown below). This section also shows all the defined variables at the Model level, along with options to make edits and delete variables.
- A variable defined in the variable section becomes a global variable in the context of that model, meaning that the variables can be used within any of the expressions in the same Model.
The run-time value of the variables defined at the model level can be edited on the Reports-Edit Tab to get the desired output.
In edit view:
- The created variables can be seen in the left-hand side panel, where you can now find a tab with variable icon along with Dimension and measure tabs.
- On Clicking the Edit icon on the created dimension/measure or the Variable icon, the variable section opens up.
- The value of the variable can be controlled in real-time (as shown below). The value edited and saved only applies to the Report and does not override the default value of the variable at the Model level.
You can create a variable map to get the desired output by controlling the variables. The created variable map is available in the Filter & Variable mapping Section with the Sub-heading called Variables. You can add a list of predefined values and also select a default value.
In edit view:
- Click on three dots -> Filter & variable mapping -> Variables Tab
- Click on "+ Variable mapping"
- Name: Text field
- Select Variables: In the Variable column, you need to select the variable which is to be included in the map.
- Type: dropdown, Numeric, Date, String
- Description: Text Box, description for the Variable Map
- Dropdown Values List: Dropdown, list of predefined values for the Variable Map
- Default Value: Dropdown, to select one from the list of defined values above
- Allowed value- If picked "Is Any", then it will fetch the "Default Value". If picked "Predefined List", then you can input comma-separated values in "Value List". The list of values provided here is available as a drop-down for that variable on the dashboard.
- Variable Mapping allows you to link together variables used from more than one model for the reports in the dashboard. And also to create a list of predefined values that can be selected by the users at the run-time to update the variable values.
- On Dashboard, the variable Maps created are added below the filter maps and can be saved along with it in bookmarks